In today’s hard world, you don’t just need to “talk”, where your physical behavior i.e. body language talks about your:
- Inner feelings
- Positive emotions
- Trust worthiness
All these feelings can be observed via. facial expressions, eye contact, gestures, postures and stance etc. Body Language is a physical behavior with conscious and unconscious movements and postures by which attitudes and feelings are communicated.
Factors which influence the Body language:
1. Eye Contact:
“Eyes are so transparent that through them ones see the soul”.
“Look in to the Eyes of a person when you talk to him”.
- Too much of eye contact: dominance, lack of respect, threat and wish to insult.
- Too little eye contact : not paying attention, impolite, insincere and shy.
- Withdrawing eye : signal of submission.
2. Facial Expression:
- Can Face Speak? Yes it does.
- In trust
Some of the common gestures and their meanings:
- Finger Crossing : Protection
- Nose Tapping : Mind your own business
- Thumb upping : Best of luck/victory
- Rubbing palm together: Positive expectation
- Palm in palm : Authority
- Hand gripping wrist : Frustration
4. Postures and Stance:
- Sagging : Depression
- Forward lean : Positive attitude
- Backward lean : Negative attitude
- Arms held loose: Open positive attitude
- Bowing head : Lower status
- Arms folded across the chest: Unsympathetic
“The impression make people on one another is based on; 60% on their appearance; 33%on the way in which they speak; 7% on what they say.”
Tips to Improve your Body Language:
- Open your chest and arms and keep your back straight (one will feel more relaxed).
- While communication with the receiver simply smile in order to make him/her comfortable.
- Pay attention and have an eye to eye contact.
- Use positive gestures i.e. Nodding head, open gestures, smiling etc..
Communication ends with the conversation, whereas body language starts with the expressing one’s feelings.