In the olden days Pictograms were used, which were made on stones after that writing began on paper, clay, wax, etc.. Now with growing technology information can be transferred through controlled waves and electronic signals.
One of the best methods to communicate is writing. It is one of the oldest forms of communication. Now a days with the growing technology, writing has becoming a lost art.
Three Steps of writing Process
- Quality control
- Keep the objectives in mind and research on that particular topics.
- Outlining helps to organize thoughts.
- Think about the audience.
- Follow your outline and use your hand book.
- Inspiration is acceptable but it must be carefully received.
- Use the interview approach to supplement the outline(i.e.who,what,where,when,how).
- Quality Control:
- Reread your work.
- Be critical of your own work.
Types of writing:
- Letters & memos
- Academic documents
Different types of writing styles:
Colloquial: It is a informal, conversational style of writing.It often makes use of colorful, expressions, slang & respond phases as a result. It becomes difficult to understand for a person from different regions or countries.
Casual: It involves everyday words and expressions i.e.conversations with family or close friends.
Formal: It involves in professional expressions with attention to rule, protocol & grammatical arrangement of words in a sentence.It is best suitable for business letters.
DO’S & Don’ts when writing:
- Be Specific: Be specific while communicating on who, what, where, why, when & how of what needs to be done, like a reporter.
- Be Concise: No need to lag or elaborate the subject. First you get to the point orelse you lose the audience attention.
- Get things right: Take care when spelling people names and other specifics. Also make sure that, do be careful proof of your work.
- Read it out loud: One very effective way to self proof your work is to read it out loud. This will help you to determine incorrect words which you are used.
- Use of writing different writing styles: When you are addressing your close mates or family use casual writing. When dealing with business or with professions use formal writing.
- First impression: First impression is the best impression. No matter how much the content is, make sure that the quality of content should be good.
Eliminating excessive or unnecessary communication will improve your work flow. Mastering these skills will improve your ability and hence your career.