Python – Introduction
In this tutorial you will learn python in detail.
Python is a very simple, general purpose, object-oriented and high level programming language. The syntax is very simple to read and follow. Python can be understood even if you do not know any programming. Python is an interpreted scripting language also. The founder of Python programming is Guido Van Rossum.
Why to Learn Python?
Python is a interpreted, interactive, high-level and object-oriented scripting language. Python is designed to be highly readable. It has fewer syntactical constructions and it uses English keywords frequently where as other languages use punctuation.
Python is a MUST for students and working professionals to become an excellent programmer specially when they are working in Web Development Domain. Here are some of the key advantages of learning Python:
- Python is Interpreted− Python is processed by the interpreter at runtime. It is not required to compile your program before executing it. This is similar to PERL and PHP.
- Python is Interactive− You can interact with the interpreter directly to write your programs.
- Python is Object-Oriented− Python supports to develop applications using Object-Oriented style or technique of programming that encapsulates code within objects.
- Python is a Beginner’s Language− Python is an easiest language for the beginners and supports the development of a wide range of applications from simple text processing to WWW browsers to games.
Characteristics of Python
Following are important characteristics of Python Programming −
- Python supports OOPS language and concepts.
- It is not required to write code for every single thing, since python downloads with a large library.
- Compared to other programming languages Python is easier to code.
- It supports automatic garbage collection.
- We can easily integrate python with other languages like C, C++, COM, ActiveX, CORBA, and Java.
Applications of Python
Python the foremost versatile language and it has various applications in different domains.
- Easy-to-learn– Due to its simple structure, keywords and clearly defined syntax, python is easy for students to learn.
- Easy-to-read– Python code is quite like English. You can tell what the code is supposed to do. It mandates indentation, since it is dynamically typed.
- Easy-to-maintain– It is easy to maintain Python’s source code.
- A broad standard library− Python’s bulk of the library is extremely portable and cross-platform compatible on UNIX, Windows, and Macintosh.
- Interactive Mode− Python has support for an interactive mode which allows interactive testing and debugging of snippets of code.
- Portable– It is possible to code Python on one machine and run it on any machine. It is not required to write different code for different machines.
- Extensible– Python can be coded in other languages like C++. It can be extended to other languages.
- Databases− Python provides interfaces to all or any major commercial databases.
- GUI Programming– The libraries offered by Python allow you for easy and fast development of GUI.
- Scalable− Python provides a far better structure and support for gaint programs than shell scripting.